Good and Bad Design Show and Tell
List of good and bad design characteristics
- Create a list of the characteristics of good and bad design
- You should have at least 5 points in each list
- You need to be able to justify why each point is in your list
Good and Bad designs
Find an example of good and bad design. The examples should be things that you use in your everyday life. You need to be able to bring in your examples to demonstrate to the class why the objects are good or bad. you should link why the designs are good and bad to the list that you have created.
Present your findings to the class. Your presentation should be between 5 and 10 minutes in length.
Read these articles on the 10 Principles of good design created by designer Dieter Rams
List of characteristics from Good Designs Australia
- Is the design styled to be appealing and desirable for the intended market?
- Is the design visually resolved and does it evoke an emotional connection with the user?
- Does the form convey the function and use of the product unambiguously and intuitively?
- Does the product perform the function it was designed for?
- Is the product easy to use and understand?
- Has the product been ergonomically designed and does it advance the user experience?
- Does the design protect the user from harm?
- Does the design safeguard against unintentional use?
- Does the design comply with all applicable standards and regulations?
- Has the product been designed for disassembly and recyclability?
- Is the product water, material and/or energy efficient in its day-to-day use?
- Is the product manufactured using materials and processes that have the least possible impact on the environment?
- Has the product been well made and finished?
- Does the quality of the product correspond with the desired price point?
- Are the chosen materials and manufacturing techniques appropriate?
- Does the product represent good value for money at the intended price point?
- Is the design likely to increase the brand value of the company?
- Is the design likely to result in a significant return on the investment made on design?
- Is the design new and original?
- Does the design use new materials and technology in a clever way?
- Does the design have any world first features?
Service Design, Packaging and Graphics, Digital and Online
The judges are also asked to consider additional criterion such as the context of design, social and cultural considerations and factors such as honesty and emotion in the execution of the design (where applicable).